BIOHAVEN EXPANDS ITS COMMITMENT TO SUPPORTING VETERANS AND MILITARY THROUGH SOLE SPONSORSHIP OF THE NATIONAL HEADACHE FOUNDATION’S OUTREACH PROGRAM
- NHF’s Veterans/Military Outreach Program aims at raising awareness of migraine in this high-risk population
- Sponsorship adds to existing Biohaven programs supporting active-duty service members, veterans and their families with migraine
NEW HAVEN, Conn., April 6, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Biohaven Pharmaceutical Holding Company Ltd. (NYSE: BHVN) today announced that it is the sole sponsor of the National Headache Foundation’s (NHF) Veterans/Military Outreach program, which aims to raise awareness about migraine, elevate the discussion about the disease among active-duty military and veterans, and inform primary care physicians (or healthcare providers) via its education program throughout the Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Centers.
“Biohaven is proud to support our veterans and active military by helping raise awareness and serving as a resource to those suffering with migraine. This partnership with NHF underscores our efforts with the military community and is synergistic with the work we do with the NASCAR Cup and Indy Car Series and the Military Salutes program. We will continue working to give back to our service members who have dedicated their lives for our country and suffer with migraine,” said BJ Jones, Chief Commercial Officer, Migraine and Common Disease and US Air Force veteran.
The NHF Veterans/Military Outreach Program consists of multiple tangible touchpoints with the military community, including:
- Primary care physician training via the NHF Primary Care Migraine Education program throughout the VA
- VA medical survey and publication on the unmet need and experience of migraine within the veteran/active military community
- A series of forums bringing veterans together to learn about chronic headache and migraine
- Production and distribution of Headache/Migraine ‘Survival Kits’
- Sponsoring a syndicated radio show that focuses on issues affecting veterans
- Podcasts, educational and outreach articles that are specifically focused on headache issues affecting veterans and those currently serving in the military
“The National Headache Foundation is honored to be partnering with Biohaven Pharmaceuticals on this program. Given the prevalence of migraine among veterans and active-duty military, there is an unmet need to share more information and elevate the level of discussion about the disease. We hope to reach and support veteran and military patients and physicians through this program,” said Tom Dabertin, Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, National Headache Foundation.
“As a US Army Special Forces veteran and a person with migraine, I know there is a need to educate our community about the disease and possible treatment options. Migraine can sometimes be misdiagnosed or go undiagnosed due to other conditions such as traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress disorder. My migraine stems from the traumatic brain injuries I incurred during my military service. I’m grateful to the NHF and Biohaven for supporting this cause. I finally found relief from my migraine with Nurtec® ODT (rimegepant) and can go back to being fully present in my daily life,” said Greg Peterman, US Army Special Forces veteran and Nurtec ODT patient.